I've finally finished the lamp that I've been prototyping over the last few weeks. The cherry veneer gives a lovely warm glow to the lamp and contrasts nicely with the ash frame. As a pro-type I've used a piece of sycamore burr for the base - I needed a light coloured base to match the frame. In production I'd probably use elm for the frame and base with maybe cherry or ash veneer for the lampshade. I prefer to limit my choice of timber to one or two species to give a strong contrast.
I've got a few design tweaks to make regarding the lampshade frame but otherwise I'm quite happy with how its finished. It certainly looks very nice in our hallway!